Föra Church

  • Visit Öland
  • Visit Öland
  • Visit Öland
  • Visit Öland
  • Visit Öland
Address: Föra Kyrkgata 1, 387 91 Borgholm, Sverige
Location: Northern Öland
FavoriteLoadingAdd to My Map
Visa på Google karta

Church environment

Föra church and cemetery is located at the intersection where the roads along Öland’s eastern and western side meet. East of the church site is the village Föra, one of the row villages on Öland. West of the church, is the school, which was built in 1927. The school ceased in 1995 and the building was taken over a year later by the parish. Today the house is used as a parish hall. South of the church is the vicarage. The main building was erected in 1917. The vicarage is today owned by the parish and inhabited by the parish priest.


The Church

The church was built during the 11th century, a stave church of wood, and as a shell on the outside of this building was a new stone church erected around 1160.

During the 12th century the church was converted into a fortified church with a tower to the west, shooting floor above the nave, and a bit later also a tower in the east. The building had thus assumed the shape of a pack-saddle church.

The medieval church stood until 1828 when the eastern tower and the nave were demolished. The drawings for the new church were made by architect C. Blom-Carlsson and builder was Petter Ekholm. The new nave is interior and exterior performed in the classical style.

The West Tower from the 12th century has been investigated thoroughly, which showed that it probably has been used as shelter both in troubled times as in times of peace. In the towers floors has been discovered among other things, leftovers, costume details and game pieces. On the second floor there is even a so-called privet, a privy or medieval toilet, preserved. It could be Sweden’s oldest of its kind. In the nave floor is still several tombstones mainly from the 17th and 18th century.


Memorial grove

A memorial grove is laid out north of the church, west of Block III. The area is bounded on the east and west by an arborvitae hedge and in the north of the cemetery wall.

Next to the cemetery wall is a wooden cross and a flowerbed for roses and summer flowers. Into the area leads a pathway paved with limestone, and on each side of the pathway is two Japanese flowering crabapple planted with groups of Orpine. To the west stands a bench.



At the entrance to the south is a building that was originally used as a morgue. It is bricked of limestone. The gable of the south is smooth plastered white with doors covered with copper plates. The gable to the north is also smooth plastered white with a small glass brick window and a vent. The house has limestone slate roofing.

Outside the cemetery to the north lies the Porter’s office. In 1995 it got its present form when an older storage building was rebuilt. When the older building was built is not known. The Porter’s Office has standing red painted wood paneling, white woodwork and doors, and a roof with red tiles. In the building are staff rooms, toilets for the church visitors as well as garage and storage room.



East of the memorial grove stands a number of tombstones that has been taken away from the cemetery; several of them are of limestone.


Source: Kalmar Läns Museum (Kalmar County Museum)

Translation: Visitoland.com