Gräsgård church in the south-east of Öland is like many of the churches in the east of Öland, located on the east fault line, consisting of beach ridges formed during the various stages of development that the Baltic gone through.
On the eastern fault line is the main road and along this the church site in Gräsgård, just about in the middle of the parish. The Church has been located here since the early Middle Ages.
In the parish are prehistoric relics from the Stone, Bronze and Iron Ages. Most prominent is the traces from the Iron Age with the Eketorp fortress
Immediately south of the church and the cemetery is the former vicarage, which since 1991 is no longer owned by the congregation.
Just south of the Church was a school building which burnt down to the ground in 2006, what now remains is the former junior school building from 1926. The church and cemetery is surrounded by several farms with active farming.
The church has a medieval origin, which today is partly preserved in the tower and the east wall of the chancel, and in the porch and the first floor of the tower are several medieval arches visible.
In the church exterior much of the expression it received in connection with the renovation in 1884 has been preserved. The tower spire design has been simplified yet retaining its neo-gothic character.
The Interior has during the renovations in the 20th century slowly been peeled off from the big style renovation in 1884. The change of benches 1952-53 and the gradual removal of wall painting are the biggest changes.
Today the experience of the church room is most affected by the new color scheme the church got in the renovation 1980-81.
The memorial grove is located in the extended portion of the west and laid out in the early 1990s. Previously the area had been used as a ceremonial site.
The area is bounded by a tall Thuja hedge and adorned by a high, almost monumental cross in limestone from the early 1960s.
In the northeast corner of the cemetery is a building that was moved there in 1814. It was built of materials from an old parish hall or materials shed and was made so high that it could accommodate the parish magazine on the upper floor.
The house is plastered and painted white with a tailed pitched roof.
Along the northern churchyard wall, there are many tombstones removed from their original locations on display.
Primarily it is limestone tombs from the late 19th century and smaller tombs in black granite from the early 20th century. These tombs are not that common anymore in the churchyard, and it’s therefore a great historical value in that the tombs are on display for visitors to the cemetery.
Close to the church, on the south side, there are two limestone tombs from the late 1870’s on display.
Source: Kalmar Läns Museum, Kalmar County Museum